International Operators Licenses

The UK Government has confirmed that from 21st May 2022 significant changes to international freight licenses will come into effect.

Driving License

Changes to the required licenses

UK freight drivers operating Light Goods Vehicles will now need an International Operators License in order to be able to transport goods into Europe. This will affect any company operating vans or cars with trailers over 2.5 tons.

The change is part of new border policing policies that have resulted from the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union. UK drivers require an HGV license and an operating (O) license to transport goods within the UK and the O license previously covered transporting goods into Europe. But from 21st May 2022 UK operators will also require the International Operators License.

What do operators need to do?

Fortunately, if you already have an operators license you can apply for the international operators license and it onto your existing license. It might take a little while to be approved, but companies should still be able to operate in Europe. If you don’t already have an O license you’ll need to apply for this via the HMRC website first.

How we can help

Oceanside Logistics will ensure that all the documents and licenses required for your import or export are sourced and in place to help your shipment progress smoothly. We also have the expertise and connections across the world in order to find the right people in order to get the job done.

As a freight forwarder we also offer the peace of mind of only having to deal with one person instead of multiple companies and agencies. We will also negotiate on warehousing, shipping and haulage costs on your behalf.

To find out how we can benefit your next shipment, send us a message or give us a call on 02380 860585 and one of our agents will be happy to help.